Thursday, October 22, 2009

Good day to see the silver lining

Today is the start of a new beginning.
Press release:
Yesterday the United Nations released a media advisory about the UN Special Rapporteur on the Right to Adequate Housing’s First Mission to the U.S. The Special Rapporteur, Ms. Raquel Rolnik, arrives in the U.S. tomorrow.
“I will collect first-hand information on the status of realization of the right to adequate housing in the US, with particular emphasis on social housing, the foreclosure crisis and homelessness,” said Ms Rolnik. “The United States has been implementing a variety of programs and policies towards providing adequate housing for everyone. I want to look at their functioning and impact from a human rights perspective.”
You can visit and blog at http://www.restorehousingrights.org/
It is the first time that I know of, that an outside entity will get a birds-eye view of what is happening with housing and homelessness in the U.S.
Not that I have faith that much will be made of this moment, except that maybe there will be a ground-roots effect across the nation. It is only this way I believe that social change will come and address the anguish of poverty.
One thing I can say about living in my van; while it might not be adequate housing, it does allow me to keep my self dignity and liberty. It allows me to act human as oppose to being treated as something less.
Today is a good day regardless, because there is a chance of a silver lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment